Judi’s House is the only free-standing organization in Metro Denver devoted solely to supporting grieving children and their families through a whole-family approach. Since 2002, Judi’s House has supported more than 10,000 youth, ages 3-25, and caregivers, toward our vision that no child should be alone in grief. We believe that investing in these vulnerable children will help them build resilience and the coping skills they need to adjust to their loss, and handle future challenges. Thanks to the generosity of our donors and community partners, there is no cost to families participating in Judi’s House services and programs.
The Comprehensive Grief Care model developed at Judi’s House is an effective, grief-focused and trauma-informed approach to care that integrates knowledge drawn from a collaboration of community, practice, and research partners. By establishing partnerships with schools, local agencies, mental health providers, primary care clinics, and other professionals in the community, we will continue to weave together a safety net for grieving children in our community.
Our research has shown that grieving children and families who attended Pathfinders groups at Judi’s House show improvements in:
- Behavioral and emotional adjustment
- Grief and trauma-related distress
- Health and sleep issues
- Academic performance
- Family functioning and communication
- Adult depressive symptoms
- Preventive services that address childhood grief and trauma early on can help keep youth on track developmentally and have the potential to save communities significant long-term costs.